VNC Administrative Committee Meeting Agenda

07/12/2010 - 7:00pm
07/12/2010 - 9:30pm

VNC Administrative Committee Meeting Agenda
Hotel Erwin (Windward & Pacific – 5th Floor)
1697 Pacific Avenue
Venice, CA 90291

Note: (i) The Administrative Committee does not address or consider the merits of proposed agenda items. Its function is to determine whether a proposed agenda item will be placed on the next Board meeting agenda, postponed, referred to a specific committee for review and recommendation, treated as an announcement, or considered and resolved as a non-Board administrative matter. (ii) The Administrative Committee has the discretion to reorder consideration of matters on the agenda to accommodate stakeholders or for other reasons. (iii) Unless otherwise noted, the President abstains on all votes. [Referred to REC]

1. Call to Order and Roll Call

2. Approval of the Administrative Committee Agenda

3. Approval of any outstanding Administrative Committee minutes submitted by the Secretary

June 7, 2010 Administrative Committee Meeting Minutes
(see http://venicenc.org/files/100607VNCAdComMinutes.doc)

4. Announcements & Public Comment on items not on the Agenda

[10 min, no more than 2 minutes per person – no Administrative Committee member announcements permitted]

5. Old Administrative Committee Business

(i) Establish Ad Hoc VNC Mobility Action Committee: Challis Macpherson, board member, encourages the VNC President, Linda Lucks, to create a VNC Ad Hoc Mobility Action Committee to take public comment, review transportation within the entire VNC boundaries (both East and West of Lincoln Blvd) and recommend action by the VNC Board of Officers. [Postpone to 100712 AdCom]

(ii) Appoint official VNC representative to PlanCheckNC LA: Challis Macpherson, outgoing board member & stakeholder, requests that VNC President, Linda Lucks, appoint Challis Macpherson as official VNC representative to PlanCheckNC LA until end of 2010-2011 term or further notice.
[Postpone to 100712 AdCom]

(iii) Record of Public Comment and future Agenda items: Linda Lucks: The Secretary of the VNC shall keep a written record of all public comments that are presented to the Board under non-agendized public comment. This record should include the name of the speaker and a very brief summary of their comment. All public comment summaries (along with the name of the speaker) should appear as part of the minutes for that meeting and be available for consideration for addition to the agenda (not requiring an agenda request form) at the next AdCom meeting for possible Board or Committee discussion and/or possible action.
[Postpone to 100712 AdCom]

(iv) Alternative to above Item (vii) Joe Murphy: Amend the Speaker Card to read:
… General Comment * … Affiliation … etc.) … * If you wish to have you the Board act regarding your concern, please submit an Agenda Request (www.venicenc.org/agenda) and it will be considered at the next Administrative Committee meeting. … X … [Postpone to 100712 AdCom]

6. New Administrative Committee Business

A Administrative matters:

(i) Extension of CIP for SPARC
Ivan Spiegel (310 921-9556; ivan13147@verizon.net) on behalf of Community Improvement Project program: SPARC has requested a 3 month extension to complete their Community Improvement Project which was supposed to be finished by June 30, 2010. This decision would be made by AdCom and should go on the AdCom agenda.

(ii) Review and possible renewal of Ad hoc committees
Ivan Spiegel (310 921-9556; ivan13147@verizon.net) on behalf of Parliamentarian: All Ad hoc committees were termed out with the seating of the new Board. Chairs of functioning Ad Hoc committees will be asked to appear before the Board and make a short summary of their current work and plans for the upcoming year, if they wish to continue. The Board may decide to renew the committee for up to one year (Ad hocs can either be given a termination date or they automatically terminate after one year or with the seating of a new Board). If they are renewed the President names the committee chair.

(iii) Review and possible renewal of Ad hoc committees
Ivan Spiegel (310 921-9556; ivan13147@verizon.net) on behalf of Parliamentarian: According to the bylaws the Administrative Committee must nominate the Standing Committee chairs. The current committees are Rules & Elections, Ocean Front Walk, Arts, and Education. This should be on the AdCom agenda.

(iv) Election of Standing Committee chairs
Ivan Spiegel (310 921-9556; ivan13147@verizon.net) on behalf of Parliamentarian: According to the bylaws the Board must select the Standing Committee chairs from the candidates nominated by the Administrative Committee. The current Standing Committees are Rules & Elections, Ocean Front Walk, Arts, and Education.

(v) Update Regarding Business Cards and Phone/Fax Numbers See AdCom Exhibit A
Jed Pauker

(vi) Community Impact Statement updated information See AdCom Exhibit B
Challis Macpherson: COMMUNITY IMPACT STATEMENTS: As they now stand, my name is main contact. May I suggest that AdCom and Linda as President update this and send to City Clerk. Sending current CIS template to Joe under separate email.

(vii) Speaker Card Revision Clarify speaker responsibility to submit agenda request if desired.

(viii) Agenda Request Reply to Sender To avoid ‘did you get it’ inquiries.

B Consideration of DRAFT July 20, 2010 Board Agenda

7. Announcements & Public Comment on items not on the Agenda

[10 min, no more than 2 minutes per person – no Administrative Committee member announcements permitted]

8. Adjourn

Draft – Board of Officers Meeting Agenda
Westminster Elementary School (Auditorium)
1010 Abbot Kinney Blvd, Venice, 90291
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 at 7:00 PM

BOARD MEETINGS: The Venice Neighborhood Council holds its regular meetings on the third Tuesday of the month and may also call any additional required special meetings in accordance with its Bylaws and the Brown Act. All are welcome to attend.
TRANSLATION SERVICES: Si requiere servicios de traducción, favor de notificar a la oficina 3 días de trabajo (72 horas) antes del evento. Si necesita asistencia con esta notificación, por favor llame a nuestra oficina 213.473.5391.
POSTING: The agenda and non-exempt writings that are distributed to a majority or all of the board members in advance of regular and special meetings
may be viewed at Groundworks Coffee (671 Rose Ave Venice, CA 90291), Abbots Habit (1401 Abbot Kinney Blvd. Venice, CA 90291), the Venice Library (501 South Venice Boulevard, Venice, CA 90291), Oakwood Recreation Center (767 California St. Venice, CA 90291), the VNC website (http://www.venicenc.org), or at the scheduled meeting. For a copy of any record related to an item on the agenda, please contact the VNC secretary at secretary@venicenc.org.
PUBLIC COMMENT: The public is requested to fill out a “Speaker Card” to address the Board on any Old or New Business item on the agenda and the Treasurer’s Report. Comments from the public on these agenda items will be heard only when that item is being considered. Comments from the public on other agenda matters or on matters not appearing on the agenda but within the Board’s subject matter jurisdiction will be heard during the Public Comment period. Public comment is limited to two (2) minutes per speaker, unless modified by the presiding officer of the Board.
DISABILITY POLICY: The Venice Neighborhood Council complies with Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act and does not discriminate on the basis of any disability. Upon request, the Venice Neighborhood Council will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. Sign language interpreters, assistive listening devices, or other auxiliary aids and/or services may be provided upon request.

1. Call to Order and Roll Call

2. Approval of the Agenda

3. Approval of outstanding minutes submitted by Secretary

June 14, 2010 Special Board Meeting Minutes
(see http://venicenc.org/files/100614VNCBoardSpecialMeetingMinutes-SJC.doc)
June 15, 2010 Board Meeting Minutes
(see http://venicenc.org/files/100615VNCBoardMinutes.doc)

I’ll be sure to include this is on the July 12 AdCom Meeting Agenda when the minutes are approved – I’ll flag it so that it doesn’t ‘slip through the cracks’.